Background

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

The Sale to End Alzheimer's

Growing up I always saw my Aunt Cheryl as one of the most unique people I knew.  She was energetic, organized, creative, and fiercely independent.  She was extremely generous, had great taste, was always immaculately dressed, had exquisite manners, and could shop like nobody's business.  Christmas was her holiday -  everything from decorations, to gifts, to meals, to the bows tied on packages looked as if they were straight from a magazine.  

 
This is from last summer... Aunt Cheryl is pointing out her diamonds to the camera. :)

About 5 years ago, however, things changed for my Aunt Cheryl.  She was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's.  In that short amount of time she has gone from holding normal conversations and driving a car, to not speaking at all and being confined to her house.  Her "words of wisdom for any young lady" that I heard regularly have stopped completely, and Christmas packages just aren't the same.  At 61 years old, she is younger than my own parents (sorry Mom for disclosing your age publicly!) and moving into a full time nursing home.  

 Decorating Aunt Cheryl's Christmas Tree

As hard as moving and being a new place has been, I can look back now and see God's hand in why He wanted me here.  Among other things, one of the most obvious reasons has been to be here for Aunt Cheryl and Uncle Don.  I have been able to help take care of her, have dinners with Uncle Don, and grow closer to them both.  The two of them have made this past year so special and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Every year since the diagnosis, my uncle has put together a team for the Houston Walk to End Alzheimer's.  He gets donations and recruits team members, and on several occasions has been the top fundraiser!  This year I am helping him in his fundraising efforts and donating all of my TpT sales and Teacher's Notebook August sales to his Alzheimer's Team.  As an added bonus, both of my stores are on sale for the entire month of August!!  Head over to my TpT Store or my Teacher's Notebook sale and support Alzheimer's research and Uncle Don's team.

Thank you so much in advance for your support of Aunt Cheryl and The Alzheimer's Association.  If you would like more information about Alzheimer's or how you can help, visit Houston's Walk to End Alzheimer's, or email me at kindergartenisahoot.blogspot.com for more information.  Thanks!!

Love, Sara

6 comments:

  1. Wow what a great cause! I will have to check out that walk-I live right near Houston. Thank you for sharing Cheryl's story with us!

    NotJustChild'sPlay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara, my mom was recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's. Thank you for raising money for this cause that is near to my heart. I will be shopping at your store this month for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My grandma has Alzheimer's. It's so hard to see my loving grandma not remember who I am. My kids are young so they will never know her true personality and it's heartbreaking. It is a cruel disease.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply, admirable what you have done here. It is fabulous to see you verbalize from the heart and your clarity on this significant subject can be easily seen. Fantastic post and will look forward to your incoming update.
    Regards
    Pre Primary Education In India - Little Millennium

    ReplyDelete
  5. kindergarten school in india are an extension for your child's quality learning experience that begins with our kids play school and Nursery programs and aims at preparing kids for a successful career.
    pre schools in india
    pre school education
    kindergarten school
    kids play school

    ReplyDelete
  6. kindergarten school in india are an extension for your child's quality learning experience that begins with our kids play school and Nursery programs and aims at preparing kids for a successful career.
    pre schools in india
    pre school education
    kindergarten school
    kids play school

    ReplyDelete